chrislittle

Inspiration and Incarnation: Evangelicals and the Problem of the Old Testament

Inspiration and Incarnation: Evangelicals and the Problem of the Old Testament - Peter Enns Written with a high view of scripture, but also with the openness to consider issues sometimes worrisome for evangelicals. Enns' model - of incarnation - may not be a lasting idea. But his addressing of questions does, I think, raise substantive issues (such as theological diversity within the scriptures, and the way the NT used the OT). The topics are not new, but written to be accessible to those without formal theological and hermeneutic training - though it will probably need some concentration for readers less familiar with these fields. One term I have a little difficulty with - not only in this book, but it features here - is 'christotelic' as a description of the OT (in contrast to christocentric or christological), meaning that the goal of the OT is Jesus Christ. I know what Enns means in that some OT exegesis has been, at the very least, forced in its seeking to find Christ. But I don't think that's because of poor terminology - it's simply insensitive reading. And, for me, christotelic provides an unjustified theological limit. The scriptures certainly do have their goal (or telos) in Jesus - but that's not all. They also have their source in him, since they are incarnated/part of creation (which, Colossians tells us, came both through Christ and for Christ).

Against the Day